Saturday, August 5, 2023

The fight for summer




In the silence, in the frozen days, we promise grandiose things. We woo, we campaign, and we sell. In the aftermath of extraordinary downpours, I wonder if my January self will look favorably upon this.  My hesitation last night, although familiar as of late was also foreign to me. So I wrestled against its restraints, forcing myself to my knees, and then to my feet. I screamed in resistance to everything around me. No, no, no! I will not lie down. I will not fade. In my portfolio of adventures, clinging to ledges, and holding on with only four fingers, there’s got to be something better than this. I know I got this. I will not be subdued.


And so like at the end of a 1950s science-fiction movie, the sun rises. I wake up seeing that I did, knowing that I did, always knowing it was always possible. What is the shaded alternate reality that slips in when we’re not looking? Slowly it sings a vengeful lullaby, that we may never escape. But I have rage on my side.


The days are getting shorter, and yet I do not see that one red maple leaf. I get torn between the things that I should do and the things that I should also do for peace of mind.


As I sit here, music sways around me, like the air oxygen and the carbon dioxide that is everywhere. I am taken back to those moments when it was just me and my father and to the times when his friend Bob would come off of a ship bearing gifts from faraway places. Nobody even knows those things exist anymore unless I talk about them.


Just imagine if we had social media back in the days when we used to do incredible things. I smile thinking about my 20-something-year-old adventures, being forever, suspended in a cloud of virtual data that outlives me.


A release of Mick Jagger and David Bowie‘s from late 1984 plays. I am transported to that old secondhand sofa that sat under the dartboard on Avenue J in Port Aransas that old 1950s mobile home with the laminate panel walls and the bamboo shades that completely covered the ceiling covering up God knows what. Clever.


Under the canopy, a forest, my campsite yields only slivers of sunlight cutting through the trees. My lone solar panel constantly asked for this dance to find a sharper cut.


The B-side of an old, 1972 wings cut plays. It makes me think of that black 1957 Chevy coming down the road on a flooded Lillian Road. And then another time with a homemade motorhome Bread Truck and a popped balloon. 


It is funny how our lives become these fragments that if we try really hard, can be small passages into other days. Once in a while, you feel it, literally smelling it, feeling it, being there. So much so that your current reality almost disappears. That is ok, so long as we do not disappear too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...