Thursday, November 24, 2016

Everything I ever needed to know I learned from Maangchi

This summer while camping I took on something I never thought I would, reading the novel, "Julie and Julia". When Donna first mentioned it to me, that the campground office had a book exchange library and this Julie Powell piece was available, I declined. This was because I saw the movie. Later that day, while at the office, I took the book down and began to read the reviews. It sounded abrasively riotous, complicated, rudely sarcastic and witty. In other words, I was beginning to think maybe the movie only shared a title with the book. I decided to try it. I was right, the screenwriters told a completely different story. They " Brady Bunched" Julie's story. The Julie Powell in the book was unstable, often selfish, envious, injured and direction-less. So, I concluded, she was human. I gave real Julie a try. Most know, the author decided to cook her way through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." 524 recipes in 365 days. It seemed like such a great idea, one othose that makes you want to take on something too. I would never cook through MtAoFC. I thought of my YouTube buddy, Maangchi. Her cookbook had been out for a little over a year now, but I had never actually seen it in person. I have always known the I would buy it, I made the assumption that it would be a cookbook that look like it was written by a YouTube novice. But still, I have cooked more of Maangchi's recipes than anyone elses by far. Maybe there could be a way? It still felt weird. The recipes I have tried have just gotten better all the time and even better, I was learning so much while enjoying them. I knew last month that it was time for me to buy her cookbook and support her for this wonderful gift she was given to so many people and to thank her for the joy she brought to my family and for the large crock of kimchi in my downstairs refrigerator, that now after five months is even better than ever! I feel bad that I thought Maangchi's book would be a "Mc Cookbook". Why should I think that when everything she ever gave us is as real as your best friend walking you through a process. No, she is a very competent teacher, cook and entrepreneur. I received the book and it is beautiful. Well written, arranged and photographed. It is also not only a collection of recipes but the " why and how" this food exists. Detailed explanation of how this food is so much more than food. It's life balance and harmony. It is great because it was built on the understanding of who we are and rather than hammering the square peg into the round hole, this book competently explains how to go with it, and reach bliss in taste, health and celebration of life and moments with food. The food etticate of Koreans is honorably and lovingly founded upon deep respect and in many cases is very contrary to other Asian countries. So now the idea of cooking my way through "Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking" seems like an exceptional goal. Keep in mind, Julie Powell lived in Long Island City, Queens. I live in Weathersfield Vermont. The ability to gather more obscure items can be a challenge. After all, even Yipings Asain Market in West Leb, (which I love) does not carry all of the Korean ingredients I require on a regular basis. I really want this. So now I pause to assess this very intriguing opportunity. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...