Friday, May 17, 2024

The game in me

 You want to make a difference, but old habits die hard. We live in a world full of templates placing us in constant obscurity. When we do not have the time to meditate on the person we are, the person we want to strive to be gets washed away into being a person others want us to be, or who we think they will be pleased with. The self-serving validation inflicted upon one's self is ironic. The person we measure against is not only not demanding something from us, but they are measuring themselves too. It is a lonely crowded land.

In my lifetime, I have seen even this very human flaw get automated into choreographed algorithm perfection. Now we can put ourselves down under the deceptive lie that we are lifting ourselves up 24 hours a day, and without ever making real contact with another living person. Oh, Simon and Schuster, this new leisure world you taught us about in 1981 was a catastrophic lie. Automate this.

I may be throwing punches in the air because I am sick of myself and my all too familiar habits of falling into the ranks of the digital shadow boxes of the 2020s. I know. I have the bandolier of much. As I fought off the attacks of inaction on complacency, through grit teeth I counted 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. I made my feet move. I found out what I was not and found that the rear tires were stuck in the sand. It is truly amazing to find that all of those colors on the rubiks cube suddenly fall into place when it seemed like what was happening was completely out of control.

I cannot help but think of Alan Parsons's song Games People Play. The song is so deep, but really only has 2 verses. I guess I always heard more. It is an interesting premise. It is a reminder that it is all about fighting and not going with the flow. The flow is easy, the flow seems like a soft landing. The flow is death. The fight is worth it. The fight is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...