Thursday, May 16, 2024

The parting of ways

I cannot find the words to say about a fine friend who I have lost. You could not put labels on him, because he encompassed so much more than one person typically does. He walked the earth for many years, and he wore many hats during that time. His focus was always on his family and his neighbor and he always made that look easy because of his steadfast belief in being the true man that he was. 

I remember when I first met him. He was the model of a man who worked hard his whole life and loved that work. He fit perfectly in the life that he led. He was a person who lived in the now. This I always felt was because he was truly honest, making sure that he lived real every moment. Because of that, he made the most of everything, giving the best of himself always to his family, the work that he did, and the friends he showed such appreciation for.

As the seasons passed over the last 22 years, it was always a joy to stop up and see him. One more recent memory was last September. I saw him up in his yard. I walked up there and we began talking in the yard. It was a rainy year, so naturally, with it being a Saturday, it began to rain. He opened the overhead door of the garage and we set up a couple of folding chairs just inside. We sat there talking, looking out over the front yard. I noticed as we talked for over an hour, that I could not tell if it was 2023, 1990, or 1977. The friendship we had was timeless. He had about a quarter century up on me in years, but I may as well been his age or he, mine. 

Of course, like anyone who has lived to see many generations in view, he mourned the old ways, but he had insight and hope in the younger ones who showed that they cared about living a solid life. His respect for people was brave and he viewed them for who they were.

I am sure if I complained about getting old he must have chuckled to himself, but he never made me feel bad about that. Yet he'd look at me like, you just wait kid. 

His wife once paid me the finest compliment when she said to my wife: "Have you noticed that our husbands are different generations of the same person?" I could see the similarities but also feel that I have much to do to achieve the fine, respectful, and humble presence that he so often displayed.

Every day I wake up and I still cannot believe he is gone. I think about his hearty laugh, his big heart, always helpful spirit, and the things I will miss cannot be counted. When in his presence, he was always 100% there. That is something the world could really use.

I lived across the road from Henry and his wonderful wife for 22 years. There is now a very large hole where he once was. Just being his neighbor and feeling this way, I cannot imagine what his family is going through. All of those young ones taught over the years in the Boy Scouts. To those, he served as a mentor, father, uncle, and lifelong friend. I am truly sad for all of you. I wish for the kindness and consideration Henry shared with you to come up as reminders daily to help you with this uncountable loss. He was not my family, but he was the truest friend a person can have. 


I like to daydream that he and Cheryl are just up the road in Windsor having lunch at their favorite place. I like to think that at any moment they will drive by the house on their way home. Then all will be right in the neighborhood again.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...