Thursday, February 8, 2024

The February void

 There is a strange void that February brings into my life.  It is not one of complacency or boredom. No, there is a great deal of pressure to get things done. It is more of a need for more focus. We did just turn our house upside down for a couple of weeks to remodel two rooms.  On the side of quality time of the year saved, we have undoubtedly done well. Now, instead of losing 70-degree days to indoor projects, we did that stuff in January and February.

For the past 2 years, I have done a thing called Taco Week. The first one was me cooking a different elevated taco every night for 5 nights for my family. In year two, I adopted a family and did the same thing for them and my family. It was a great deal of fun, it was difficult, and really provided a forced focus.

So far this year, I do not feel a Taco Week appearing in the weeks ahead. Maybe it is the project that we just completed and its aftermath, by which I mean there is so much more organization to yet take place. Maybe it is the fact that I feel the need to finally pull forward with the food process and start actually personal cheffing. Something is going to happen. I can feel it.

Photo by Tiago Pedro on Unsplash

In case you have not noticed, there is still much of what I do that has no routine. That is not me. Planning ahead is something I just cannot grasp, although I know that some of that is needed. Everything is more of an instinct. I have found that for much of my life, I thought that method was wrong and then tried to imitate the planners only to miss the mark in a Fail Army sort of fashion.

Signing on with the instinct and owning it, really works.  So as these early days of February progress, I am quietly meditating on all that I know, am, and can be to understand what creative trail is ahead. Right now it is a jumble.  The other night I was just watching television and a song idea popped into my head with such intensity, that I immediately saved to my phone what was there, knowing if I fooled myself into believing that I would remember later I would be very disappointed. Getting to a guitar in our "reorganization" now is hard.

Our automotive projects have not diminished whatsoever over the winter, so there is that. This means that the largest universal antagonist known to mankind, by which I mean my garage, needs to be dealt with!

I also would love to jump right back into processing fallen trees in the woods soon so I am not spending my summer preparing for winter. Over the last two years, I have spent all of the nice weather either moving dirt or processing wood.  I think it is time to mix it up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...