Friday, June 16, 2023

It’s coffee time


 The coffee watch is on. Those eternal moments in which the combination of propane stove and coffee, percolator make so much noise. It is almost industrial. But then that grand entrance with that first appearance of clear water into the glass perk top shows up, accentuated by the sound of perking coffee that in my recollection does not sound like anything else on earth except maybe the sound of a distant steam locomotive pulling a hill.


I turn down the burner so low, the flame is on the edge of not even being there. This is the careful process of massage, the art of creating amazing coffee in a traditional percolator. If I had it my way, I would still make coffee this way every single day as if it were 1977. This busy world challenges ideas like that with “essential tasks” that we have been re-programmed into thinking that they are indeed essential.

The forecast for this weekend is riddled with rain, showers, and storms. Thankfully, I am watching this coffee perk and the birds are singing. The sun is shining through the trees, and the mosquitoes are doing their best to ruin it.


I know I’m coming to the point where the coffee is perked enough, bliss awaits. But first, silence. Letting that pot rest for about 4 minutes seals the perfection.


As I wait, the remaining sounds are children’s voices in the distance and a couple of woodpeckers that are so loud they must be robotic woodpeckers. 


Now just birds singing sweetly all around. My friends, it’s coffee time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...