Monday, October 2, 2023

Tuning in

 October is new and the weather is on borrowed time. It is perfect. Sunshine, light breeze, crow cawing in the distance.



I am sitting outside the main entrance to APD. A large roof, supported by two brick pillars. I suddenly notice bungee cords wrapped around the pillar closest to me. Why? Then I realize, it must be suspending a sign or banner of some sort that is facing the other side.


As I look up, a small SUV passes on the pickup and drop-off lane that is a few steps lower than my current level. In the back seat, a small dog makes eye contact with me. Childlike, it just sits there. Small to midsize, ginger, pointy standing-up ears, happy. I know from this 2-second encounter something about this dog's relative standing within its household and family. 


I had to do it. I got up off my seat on the bench and verified that I was right about the banner and supporting bungees. Yes, Dartmouth Health. It is cool to be clever with trivial things too I suppose.


2023 has been a great year for writing but deep down, I am concerned about the trend in frequency. I keep telling myself it is because I am working on bigger things and while yes, that is true, I am also copping out. Going over the two stories about losing my father is very difficult, but that is no excuse to hide behind them.


Everyday life has a way of wearing you down so that anything we set our minds to takes a beating. It is important to not give up. I have to remember what one writer told me once, oh about 40 minutes ago." If you don’t write, you are not a writer." Then I paraphrase and assess,  "If you write all the time, most of what your writing is probably crap. The great thing though is that those times that you’re writing is crap are practice for the times when your writing is incredible. You cannot have one without the other."


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...