Friday, July 28, 2023

Sadness in the Sumertime


 There are subtle signs in what otherwise appears to be absolutely normal and absolutely in control. Elite model pricey SUV in July with studded tires for example. There is an imbalance in that person’s life. Life isn’t as coherent as it appears at a glance. Then there is indulgence, whether it’s convertible tops, vanity plates, or one of those things that make someone feel like an individual or make someone feel like they belong. Everything comes with a price. It is sacrifice, that is defined by the type of person who makes it.

 Getting out of the car, and walking around. I can see the options that really exist. All of these options come with their own benefits and their own sacrifices. I know that somewhere in here there are answers, and I may come within inches of my solution and yet I may never know that I did. 

Recently traveling with my sons and watching them discover that there is more beyond the 25-mile radius of home and that there is a whole world of infinite possibilities, I realize that my own borders have tightened in on me in a lesser way, but tightened nonetheless.

At what point does what you know become what you used to know? Despite all that you have and know cannot be a match for what is lost.

Dear Sinead, you were a revolutionary of our time. The strength of your voice carried its power in so many ways. You said what had to be said long before people could comprehend. I loved how you looked at your children and the words with which you expressed your love. You could be so delicate, you were almost subliminal. Other times you screamed with a cry of war like thunder itself. In one sentence you started with one and finished with the other. If we were with you we could only be sure that you would be you. Incredibly we had no idea what that would be like. Thank you for the beautiful music that only you could sing to us. I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...