Sunday, December 31, 2023

December ends

A cold day of exploring designed to smooth out the paths of future sunny days.  I cannot take a trip like this without it bringing back sweet memories of years past. Some of these seem like moments ago and others, impossibly distant.




I wrote a piece back in September called "January just has to deal with it"  and here I am, retaking those steps and also on the verge of seeing just how mad January can be at me for my lack of tenacity.  That will be whatever it will be.  Defiantly, I will write about it, pressing those lemons with that foolish spite I can be so famous for.  How do you like me now?

The embers on the other side of the glass were a terrible threat to me only 365 days ago every time the cold winds blew.  Today, they keep us. Ironic. Mind you, I put so many days, weeks, and months into those, and it was worth it.

I have battled it out with many past days as though I were on my thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail, letting my endless thoughts play on like a live theatre show that no one gets to live through.  I have always known, I needed the words to be said to be free of what they are saying.  




It was a good year. It was the year Noah got to go to Port Aransas and Liam, Noah and I got to drive back together from Texas to Vermont. I did not see that coming.  It was surreal, waking up in a sweltering hot tent at 4 AM, realizing that Liam was not next to me.  I found him up at the restrooms. He could not sleep either.  We walked around in the darkness of the national park, on the edge of a breathtakingly beautiful lake that we would never see. 


We did see a trip to Winhall this year and it was perfect, unfortunately, it would be the last one before the campground was demolished the night Liam, Noah and I crossed into Vermont back in July.


A rainy weekend at Coolidge was good despite the rain.  I am glad we did it anyway.

The two biggest trips of the year, one at the end of September and one at the beginning of October both got canceled.  Once was in my control and the other was not. I would like to say 2024 will be more adventurous, but we can never really be sure.  

2023 was the year that I got to hear the last new Beatles song there will ever be.  I was not alone to hear that, and that made it even more special. 

I am thankful I got to sit in my sisters and brother-in-law's garage and have coffee with them for a few mornings. I am thankful for our dog pushing me off the bed, for hugs from my children, and for the times I get to talk with my Mom. Thankful I have people who take care of me.  I am thankful for all the good people I know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...