Thursday, August 8, 2024

Commentary on Greenback Boogie

Note: There is a television show that ran for 9 seasons called "Suits". It is an American lawyer drama series in which a college dropout with a photographic memory accidentally ends up in the office of a sharp and prestigious attorney and convinces him to give him a job. 

The show is very compelling hence the 9 seasons, but something about I find equally interesting is the theme song which is by an indie rock group called Ima Robot, consisting of a Los Angeles-based dance-rock band fronted by Alex Ebert of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. The song, frequently defined as a "groove about making money" has a strange allure to it.

For me, the entire composition resonates, but not in the way in which it was intended. The collective essence of this song to me is like those associative ink blot tests that psychologists have shown their patients, and asked them what the image looks like, or the say a random word tests in which the patient names the first thing that comes to mind.

But I see more than that. This groove makes me wish to bounce through contemporary existence and document it almost like a cryptic newspaper. It is a threefold mission for me.  The groove, the ink blots, and life today. Here is the interpretation of those 3 things:


(Greenback Boogie lyrics)...(1st thought commentary)


Photo by John McArthur on Unsplash


 See the money wanna stay, for your meal... It's a ride without a landing.

Get another piece of pie, for your wife... They could not feel my obsession but could experience what was coming from it.

Everybody wanna know, how it feel... It's my carnival and you can taste.

Everybody wanna see, what it's like...From the other side of the table, that is the only way I am exploring ancient and modern caves, looking for clues. 

Baby wanna be a queen, well alright... Jean Christophe Novelli throws you out for saying that you wanna be a rock star.

We all deserve the finer things, in this life... cooking canned sardines in flour and sweetened condensed milk in a bomb shelter thanks to June.

So working on a little job, in the night... Old habits, drill sergeants, disrespect. OMG, Mel! What do you say?

It's forty dollars an hour when I, see the light... Sometimes it’s 40, sometimes it’s 60, sometimes it’s 9. You cannot cry.

The boss say you got a little time, and oh my...What you got you don't know. Somethings happened and now you do.

He'll be working in a small box, till he die...I don't think so.

Me, I gotta be free, all my life...Just never knew what that was until the spaceship landed.

I want a little cream cheese, in my pie...Turns out, I need it too.

Alright...I need a change, I need a new way, well alright.

Yeah! I'll step back, while you go dance...because watch and listen is something I have failed at.

The greenback boogie...but it's not what you think.

Mother fing boogie...papa Dave is in the driver's seat.

Now I'm putting on a big wig, walking hard...Some days it's easy, some days it's hard.

Hanging with them big pigs, all them dogs...I can hang and then I can fly.

Got me a couple ideas, straight from God...or maybe just floating in the void.

I want a bean pie...because I have been there and back.

Order me a bean pie...and we'll talk about old times.

I'll even eat a bean pie, I don't mind...it's nice to show others I was not alone.

Me and Missy is so very busy busy making money...just make it count.

Alright...spending is spontaneous?

All step back, I'm 'bout to dance...live a little, be a gypsy, get around...

The greenback boogie...It's not what you think.

The greenback boogie...Snarky George is calling the shots.

Boogie now for me...Walking on eggshells so I don't wake Jade.

Hey!!!! I'm so busted, and I know why.

Say, it's far better, when you give it away...so later you can live like no one else.

It's called the greenback boogie...I have intention and man does it ever show!

What people don't say, I say...always holding back still because if you could see...

It's better, when you give it away...If I only knew this a long time ago.

It's called the greenback boogie...Dave keeps saying that I need some problems

Don't give it away now, I say...But sometimes you just gotta say it

It's better, when you give it away...Yeah it is but I am moving in slow motion.

It's called the greenback boogie...Doctor John is so supportive.

Don't give it away now, I say...and I want to and I have to and I got to.

See the money wanna stay, for your meal...was a time when I could not make it.

I'll say it's gonna put some love, in your life...and some fire in your days.

Don't you really wanna know, how it feel? Hold on, just a little but tighter now baby. 

Everybody wanna see, what it's like,...from the bar.

Babe you wanna be inside, it ain't lies...dangerous, wonderous, and perilous, oh my.

We all know there's better things in this life...Elle says we need to look behind us.

Yes I'll step out, on your expense...Trample my memories, my heart and my soul.

Doin' the greenback boogie...Rachel is telling it like it T.I.S.

Mother fing boogie...Boom, baby, boom boom baby.

Boogie oogie oogie....Get on up on floor.

Greenback Boogie...Kenny's got a new book.

Come on back to paradise...anytime and each year.

Come on back to paradise...I was so easy to defeat, I was so easy to control.

Come on back to paradise...I didn't even know there was a war.

Come on back to...the war! Come on back!

Come on back to...the war! Back!

Come on back to paradise...on the road to Shambala.

Come on back to paradise...Elizabeth domesticates and it works.

Come on back to paradise...I never seen her there before.

Come on back to...The War, come on back.

Come on back to...I hear it echoing through the complex towers.

It's the greenback boogie...Dave announces the party is over.

It's the greenback boogie...He shows all the riff raff out.

Don't give it away now...You gotta hold on!

Don't give it away now, I say...just a little bit tighter now baby!

It's better, when you greenback boogie...Every dollar has a name. 

Well don't give it away...Show it where to go and go where you are going.

Well don't give it away, I say...Freedom, Freedom, FREEDOM!

It's better...because you did not make it bad.

It's the greenback boogie...Waiting to perform, la la la.

Don't give it away...I don't care what your daddy do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Firstborn Awakening

 You could never know the life you made, the definition you brought, and the love you showed me that can exist in one person's heart. I ...